Monday 30 May 2016

Lucas Tan Learning Log 1

June Holidays Week 1
3.30pm - 4.00pm
30/5/16

Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10840482/Rubiks-cube-invention-40-years-old-and-never-meant-to-be-a-toy.html

What I Did:
I am very used to playing with my Rubik's cube, so I decided to read up about its history and where it came from.

What I Learnt:

Phrases I did not know:

Iron Curtain - a notional barrier separating the former Soviet bloc and the west prior to the decline of the communism that followed the political events in eastern Europe in 1989. 

Summary:

The Rubik's cube was invented by Erno Rubik, a Hungarian Architect. It was not meant to be a toy, but rather a working model to explain three-dimensional geometry. It was originally called the "Magic Cube", and it weighs twice more than it weighs today. There are 43 quintillion possible configurations of the Rubik's cube. It won the toy of the year in the UK in 1980 and 1981, even though majority of the children could not solve it and they usually resorted to peeling off the stickers and sticking them back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment