Wednesday 22 June 2016

Learning Log by Ray Wehn

Date: 13 June 2016
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/being-with-the-fish-its-a-job-to-dive-for
Author: Rachel Oh ( I'm actually serious )
What I did: I was looking through the news...
What I learnt: Being a diver isn't that bad after all.
Words I do not know: nostalgia - a sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.
Summary: Mr Chan, a diver from the Underwater Sea World Singapore, loves diving in there to feed the fishes. He treats the fishes like his babies, as stated in the article. The article talks about how much Mr Chan enjoys his job as a diver.

Date: 22 June 2016
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/singapore-woman-jailed-for-helping-nigerian-con-man
What I did:  I was looking through the news
What I learnt:  Never trust a con man ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Jokes aside, I learnt to watch out for scammers/con man when using the internet.
Words I do not know:   I do not know
Summary: $200000 worth of money have been cheated of victims by a Singaporean women working with a Nigerian con man who cheated through facebook and other online dating websites.

Date: 22 June 2016
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/central-narcotics-bureau-warns-of-fake-officer-requesting-for-money-via
What I did: I was looking through the news
What I learnt: We should always look out for trouble anywhere on the internet.
Words I do not know: None
Summary: A person has been impersonating a CNB officer and has been asking for money through "WhatsApp"

Date: 22 June 2016
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/motorist-gets-2-weeks-jail-5-year-driving-ban-for-causing-death-of-elderly
What I did: I was looking through the news again.
What I learnt: We should always watch out for incoming vehicles and be safe on the road.
Words I do not know:  None
Summary: A motorist, Mr Cheng,  gets jailed in prison for colliding into an elderly pedestrian and causing her death.

Date: 30 March 2016
Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/elderly-woman-killed-after-taxi-hits-her-in-a-bedok-north-carpark-as-she-was
What I did: I was looking through the news apparently.
What I learnt: Car accidents can happen almost anywhere and at anytime.
Words I do not know: cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Summary: Madam Poh was collecting cardboard when a taxi reversed in high speeds and crashed into her twice, causing her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment