Wednesday 15 June 2016

Learning Log Goh Chin Ray


ILL 1

Date:  14 June 2016
           June Holiday Week 3
           6pm-6:30pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/10-arrested-after-brawl-at-bugis-village

What I did: I was bored at home, so I decided to head on to the Straits Times websites to read on situations that are happening around Singapore in the past few days. I then decided to come here and summarise the article I just read.


What I learned: 

Words that I did not fully understand:

Sparked off- To initiate
Intervening- To take part in something so as to prevent or alter a result or course of events.


Summary:
A fight broke out in Bugis last week. It can be seen that both men and women were involved in the brawl by exchanging punches, while one person can be seen lying on the ground, they were all arrested. Police received calls at 10:22 pm on June 7. When they arrived at the scene,  9 people were arrested in relation to the case. It was claimed that the fight broke out due to the misunderstanding between both parties and the possible abuse of alcohol.





ILL 2


Date:  14 June 2016
           June Holiday Week 3
         7pm-7:30pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/wife-of-orlando-shooter-knew-of-attack-could-face-charges-soon-source

What I did: I was bored at home, so I decided to head on to the Straits Times websites to read on situations that are happening around Singapore in the past few days. I then decided to come here and summarise the article I just read.


What I learned: 

Words that I did not fully understand:

Federal- Having or relating to a system of government in which several states form a unity but remain independent in internal affairs.
Convened- Come or bring together of a meeting



Summary:
The wife of Orlando shooter is now facing the possibility of facing charges. The Orlando shooting the recently happened was deadliest mass shooting in Modern United States history that killed 49 people. Despite she trying to talk her husband out of carrying the attack, she did not inform law enforcement about the possible attack and could have prevented many deaths from happening. She also drove her husband to the nightclub once for him to scope the location. Therefore, she might be facing charges soon.





ILL 3


Date:  14 June 2016
           June Holiday Week 3
           9pm-9:30pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/lawyers-deny-indonesian-woman-poisoned-coffee-to-kill-friend

What I did: I was bored at home, so I decided to head on to the Straits Times websites to read on situations that are happening around Singapore in the past few days. I then decided to come here and summarise the article I just read.


What I learned: 

Words that I did not fully understand:

Premeditated- think out a plan for a crime beforehand.
Convulsions- a sudden irregular movement in the body, usually triggered by toxins


Summary:

An Indonesian woman, who was accused of poisoning and killing her friend by putting cyanide into her coffee, denies the involvement in her death. Her lawyer said that she was not guilty as CCTV footage and people who were at the scene did not see or caught the Indonesian woman attempting to put cyanide into her friends coffee. Austrailia had made a deal with Indonesia, stating that if the woman was found gulity, she would not be executed, in order for the Australians to invested the case.




ILL 5

Date:  15 June 2016
           June Holiday Week 3
           11pm-11:30pm

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36535791

What I did: I was bored at home, so I decided to try something new today and head over to BBC and read about some of their interesting articles. I came about some really meaningful and would like to summarize them now.


What I learned: 

Words that I did not fully understand:

Polygamy- The practice of having more than 1 wife or husband at the same time.

Summary:
Germany will not recongize any polygamy or minor facing marriage, as this situation is on a rise , Germany had implemented saying that migrants, which includes recent arrivals into the country, must abide by the law, knowing that polygamy is a practice in Islamic culture and a man could have up to 4 wives at any point of time.





























No comments:

Post a Comment