Friday 17 June 2016

Learning Logs (Rae)

Learning Log 1
June holidays week 2 
11am - 11.30am 
9 June 2016

Source

What I did
I went onto The Straits Times page to look up on current news to increase my general knowledge. I found an article which I was rather interested in - Government segregating secure systems for civil servants.

What I learnt
Espionage - the practice of spying or of using spies, typically by governments to obtain political and military information.
Segregate - set apart from the rest or from each other; isolate or divide

Summary
Cybercrime and espionage have been an issue for the government. Thus, to solve this issue, they had decided to segregate secure email systems from other activities such as web surfing and transacting. Mr Lee Hsien Loong has clarified that this measure is not to cut off civil servant’s internet access as he understands that having internet access is indispensable in order to access information transact and deliver information to the citizens.



Learning Log 2
June holidays week 2
3pm - 3.30 pm
9 June 2016

Source

What I did
I looked up the internet for interesting news and I found an article which caught my attention. It was regarding a 7-year-old Japanese boy who survived a whole week without food in a forest 

What I learnt 
Forage - search widely for food or provisions

Summary
A 7-year-old Japanese boy was left in the forest by his parents as a form of punishment for throwing rocks at a car, but after they went back to the forest after some time, he disappeared and could not be found for the next six days. It was only recently when a group of soldiers spotted him in one of a cabins in a forest military base. The boy had survived in the cabin by drinking from a tap and sleeping between two mattresses to keep himself warm at night.




Learning Log 3
June Holidays week 3
2pm - 2.30pm
13 June 2016

Source

What I did
I wanted to find out more about the world’s happenings thus I browsed the web for interesting articles and I found one regarding a terrorist attack in Shanghai.

What I learnt
disgruntle - angry or dissatisfied 
cavernous - like a cavern in size, shape, or atmosphere.


Summary
A man from Shanghai hurled home-made explosive bombs at the main international Shanghai airport which caused injuries of four people. He later attempted suicide by slashing his neck and is in critical condition. 


Learning Log 4
June Holidays week 3
11pm - 11.30pm
16 June 2016

Source

What I did
I looked up The Straits Times for recent news and found one regarding an accident that took place

What I learnt
Vocational - relating to an occupation or employment
Mitigation - The act of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painful of something

Summary
A 22-year-old full-time national service man caused the death of a couple on a motorcycle when he was driving his friend's minibus. One of the victims, was pronounced dead at 3.15pm on the same day while his wife, who hit her chest on the dashboard, died three days later.  He pleaded guilty to the charge of causing their deaths due to his negligence.The driver was also charged for driving the minibus without a vocational licence. 


Learning Log 5
June holidays week 3
12.30 pm - 1pm
18 June 2016

Source
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/scdf-rescues-11-trapped-in-vehicles-by-flash-flood-in-jurong-west

What I did
I decided to look up the internet for interesting news to increase my general knowledge

What I learnt
Wading - walk with effort through water or another liquid or viscous substance

Summary
The SCDF rescued 11 people trapped in 3 different vehicles by a flash flood along Enterprise Road in Jurong West on 17 June, a Friday. The water level was up to knee-high in the vehicles, with those trapped donning life vests provided by SCDF as they were taken to safety. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment