Wednesday 22 June 2016

Learning Logs (Raena)

Date: 14 June 2016
What I did: I was on social media and this article caught my attention.
What I learnt:
Vigil: An instance of keeping awake during normal sleeping hours, especially to keep watch or pray.
Summary:
Many Singaporeans came together to remember the victims of the Orlando shooting. They held electric candles, sang songs such as ‘Heal The World’ and held a minute of silence.

Date: 16 June 2016
What I did: I was checking for the latest news on the Straits Times website when I chanced upon this article.
What I learnt:
Haemorrhage: A heavy release of blood within or from a body.
Summary:
A car with a family of four crashed into a tree along Lentor Avenue. The mother was pronounced dead at the scene and her husband has been arrested for causing death by a rash act. The two boys, aged three and six, suffered serious injuries to the head and spinal injuries respectively.

Date: 18 June 2016
What I did:I was on social media and I saw this article in my feed.
What I learnt:
Scuffle: A rough disorderly fight or struggle at close quarters
Summary:
A bus driver’s daughter was angered when a woman entered the bus with a drink and started yelling at her. When she was told to calm down as she was scaring the woman’s daughter, she choked the ten-year-old and chased the girl around the interchange when she escaped. The next day, she attacked a fourteen-year-old for a similar reason and got into a fight with her mother.

Date: 6 June 2016
What I did: I wanted to know more about Singapore’s crime history so I looked for articles on the Straits Times.
What I learnt:
Tumultuous: Noisy and disorderly
Perpetual: Lasting forever, or for an indefinitely long time
Summary:
A man, who was treated badly by his lover, killed her and her daughter with a knife in a fit of rage. He then went to the kitchen to get a different weapon before attacking their flatmates. He slashed the fifteen-year-old girl while her mother ran out. She tried to escape from the kitchen window and was hanging from a bamboo pole, where the man cut her fingers and she fell to her death. He went back to the room and continued slashing the girl, who survived the ordeal.

Date: 22June 2016
What I did: I read the newspapers and this article caught my attention.
What I learnt:
Presumptive: Based on presumption, probability, conjecture, hypothesis or belief
Summary:
A British teenager learnt to shoot at a shooting range a day before going to Donald
Trump’s rally at Las Vegas. There, he struck up a conversation with a police officer and tried to grab his gun to end Donald Trump’s life. He failed and was arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment