Sunday 19 June 2016

Learning Logs (Lim Hong Wei)

ILL 1
June Holidays Week 2
10.30am-11.00am

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/underwater-world-singapore-to-close-on-june-26-with-lease-ending-public-to-enjoy-lower

What I did: I did not want to spend my June Holidays only at home so I searched for what I could do when I came across this article.

What I learned:

Words I do not understand:

- Oceanarium: a large seawater aquarium in which marine animals are kept for study and public entertainment
- Geriatricrelating to old people, especially with regard to their health care 

Summary:
Underwater World Singapore has been opened for 25 years and as the lease for the Sentosa premises is expiring in two years, there will be an early closure such that there would be sufficient time to transfer the marine life in there. There will be the lowering of ticket prices to its original 1991 opening price from June 7.


ILL 2
June Holidays Week 2
1.00pm-1.30pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/crash-child-destroys-lego-sculpture-that-took-3-days-to-build

What I did:
I was researching on some Lego sets when I came across this article.

What I learned:
The Disney Film Zootopia was very popular among Chinese moviegoers.

Summary: 
A Chinese fan of Disney's Zootopia built a large-scaled Nick Wilde the Fox in 72 hours non-stop and put it up for an exhibition. Although there was a "Do Not Touch" sign, a four-year old child put his hand on the statue and broke it.


ILL 3
June Holidays Week 3
10.30am-11.00am

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/games-apps/e3-2016-microsoft-announces-slimmer-xbox-one-s-more-powerful-project-scorpio

What I did:
I wanted to find out what was revealed at the gaming convention E3 this year.

What I learned:
Words I do not understand:
-extravaganza: an elaborate and spectacular entertainment or production

Summary:

There is a new and slimmer version of Xbox One coming out soon. It will be coming out at the end of the next year and will also be 40% smaller than the Xbox One. Xbox One games would also soon be able to be played on the Windows platforms.


ILL 4

June Holidays Week 3

6.00pm-6.30pm

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36566866

What I did: 
As I watched the Euro Cup France 2016 England's match against Wales, I wanted to see what the media thought of Joe Hart's failure at saving the free kick from Gareth Bale 32 yards away.

What I learned:

Words I do not understand:
- fraternity: a group of people sharing a common profession or interests

Summary:

It turns out Joe Hart was actually nervous and made a wrong choice by having a wall when the free kick was taken a such a distance. However only if Joe Hart gets injured would coach Hodgson substitute him with another goalkeeper as he was England's best bet.


ILL 5
June Holidays Week 4

2.30pm-3.00pm

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/police-arrest-19-year-old-suspected-of-cheating-victims-who-made-online

What I did:
I was just surfing the web when this article popped up. As it was about Universal Studios Singapore, I was immediately attracted.

What I learned:

Words I do not understand:
-penal code: a document which compiles all, or a significant amount of, a particular jurisdiction's criminal law
-reputable: having a good reputation

Summary:

A nineteen-year-old teenager was arrested for his suspected involvement in several online scams. The victims paid advance payment for discounted Universal Studios Singapore tickets. When the victims did not receive their tickets, they reported to the police and the police arrested the suspect along New Bridge Road on Monday, June 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment